This site is designed to correspond with cooking classes being taught in Kansas City, MO focused on natural, sustainable food. Content will continue to grow each week, so continue to check back often. Comments are welcome. Please join us as we discover how good real food can be!





Monday, May 17, 2010

How I prepare for my next Door to Door Organics box

Several people have mentioned lately that their weekend meals can become quite interesting.  I thought it was just me.  Monday is the day our weekly Door to Door Organics boxes are delivered up north, so the days leading up to Monday means that you have to make room for what's coming.  It's kind of fun.  I've heard about salads and stocks and soups all made from random ingredients left lingering from the past week's box. 

This week I thought I would share one of those such recipes, which I made last weekend.  Grated beets, carrots, and apples are tossed in a sesame oil dressing with fresh herbs. I added feta cheese, but I think I would have liked it better without.  It's your call, though.  I'm certain the feta cheese contributed to my 2 year old eating bowls of this stuff, as did the beautiful red color.  I just love beets and I usually roast them.  Since I never got around to it last week, this was a nice way to change it up.  Plus the vegetables are raw, so they are a lot better for you (for the "what it's worth" department).

This Thursday is our monthly class with the IMX=Pilates group and we will be doing Asian food.  If you have wanted to try out a class to see how much fun it is, please join us!  Cost is only $20 and you will not walk away hungry.  Contact me for details. 

Lastly, we are holding a screening of Fresh at Living Water Christian Church in Parkville, MO, on June 3 from 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. to help raise funds for our missions trip this summer to Koinonia Farm. This is a movie that everyone should see and a panel of experts comprised of local organic farmers will even be there to help facilitate discussion.  More details can be found here.  I hope to have a big crowd!

Enjoy the recipe!


Grated Beet and Carrot Salad

3-4 medium sized carrots
3 beets, peeled
1 apple, cored
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon organic sesame seed oil
1/4 cup finely chopped herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, dill, anything)
juice of one lemon
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
sea salt and pepper

With a box grater (or mandoline), grate the carrots, beets, and apple into a medium sized bowl.  In a separate small bowl, whisk together the minced garlic, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice and sesame seed oil.  Toss the dressing, herbs and feta with the grated vegetables.  Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment